I love salads year-round, but they’re especially satisfying when the weather heats up. So when I used to travel a lot for work, the strawberry poppyseed salad from Panera was one of my go-to’s as a healthier option on the road. I saw an ad for that salad on a billboard recently and it inspired me make my own version: Strawberry Avocado Salad with Honey Lime Chia Dressing. I swapped out some of the fruit (no hate on canned mandarin oranges, but avocado is just better) and made my own version of a tangy-sweet dressing thickened with chia seeds. Hope you love it like I do!
For the salad
- 6 cups field greens
- 1 cup strawberries, sliced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- crushed black pepper, to taste
- grilled protein or veggies (chicken, salmon, steak, tofu, portobello, etc.), if you’d like
For the dressing
- 1 tbsp honey (ideally raw, local, and unfiltered)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp. lime juice (1-2 limes)
- 1 tbsp. chia seeds
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- Mix dressing ingredients by whisking, shaking in a mason jar, or pulsing in a blender until smooth. (Depending on the thickness of your honey, some of these methods may be more effective than others!)
- Assemble salad ingredients in the bowl and toss with the dressing. Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Serve immediately!